Tuesday, September 09, 2008

TV News Anger!

An Open Letter to My Local News Station:

I'm writing as a long-time KPRC viewer. I have long been a NBC news fan. Most of the shows I watch are NBC shows, and when I lived in New Braunfels, San Marcos, Austin, and Lubbock, I watched the local NBC affiliate.

I have become increasingly concerned over KPRC's reporters increasing use of "props" to facilitate their stories. At first, among my friends we had a game to try to figure when Ryan Korsgard would use a prop, as he was notorious. Almost every story he covered included him using some prop to propel the story. Recently, however, Elizabeth Scarborough began using props in more of her stories. This morning, Daniella Guzman waved $15 dollars at the camera when she discussed a local man's slaying.

The occasional "prop" might be effective, but these three reporters, especially Mr. Korsgard, have reduced the effectiveness of the prop to the ridiculous. I worked in radio broadcasting 10 years in the 1980s and 1990s, and although did not use props, the general understanding was that in both print and broadcasting these affectations could help a story, but used sparingly lest it become a crutch for a weak story. It seems it has become some sort of inside joke or contest at KPRC at best, or a crutch for weak reporting at worst.

It borders on the sensational, and skirts propriety in some cases. While the reporters should know better, it is really the responsibility of the news editor to curb this sort of behavior.

I will continue to watch KPRC, as I think it's the best station for news, but this trend toward reporters using props increasingly in their news stories has made me question the news department's effectiveness.

No comments: