Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Big Job Interview

Today the big news is I had a job interview........yea!!!!

NO, I really mean YEA!

Houston Community College called me a couple of weeks ago. The chair sounded really interested, said I had a lot of experience (That was nice, and unexpected), and said he would call for an interview.

So I finally got the call, and he scheduled the interview for Aug. 12, one day after my 37th birthday. So it was kind of like a birthday present. I've been out of a job now for a month.

Got to the campus at 10:45 for the 11 am appointment. Waited until 11:30 for the interview, as the interview process got delayed.

While waiting, I chatted with the secretary....a really nice person. She told me that I was one of the last of the seven interviews they were conducting. Which is really great since the job begins on the 25th!

Finally, the chairman whisked me into a classroom across the hall, and the process began.

Now, I've been preparing for this interview for about a week. I went out and bought a on getting an educational job, Inside Secrets of Finding a Teaching Job. This is really a good book, and I recommend it. I prepared for an interview, going over strenghts and weaknesses, why I want to teach, my teaching philosophy. I also prepared a presentation....powerpoint lecture, handouts, etc.

Well, the Powerpoint didn't happen, because I would have had to bring my own computer...so I was a little overtechnified! Luckily, I prepared for this and had printed all the powerpoints, had lecture note handouts, and the lecture went great..I think.

They seemed a little overawed that I had put all my lectures on Powerpoint and had prepared a studyguide for every chapter of the book. They also seemed to think gave students a lot of tests or work or something. So, I don't know what they thought.

I'm supposed to find out tomorrow, today actually (Wednesday) if I get a callback. I've got my fingers crossed, and may say a rosary just for added prayer.

No comments: